TCB Band Fan Poll
What do you think to the new look of the website?
Who's OnlineWe have 11 guests online
|Shreveport - 21 & 22 August 2009|
The James Burton Guitar Festival
Review by Vilma Kinney
21st and 22nd August 2009 and Shreveport is HOT!! - not just the temperature, but the music too! 5pm on the 21st and it's down to the Festival Plaza in downtown Shreveport for James' birthday party. This was a show that show cased a number of local artists who have donated their time to raise money for James' foundation. The artists appearing were Cole Vosbury, Landry & Company, Gatordilla, The Express (from Memphis), Louisiana Yard Dogs, Joel Sonnier and the evening ended with The Next Generation jam session (which I'm afraid we missed as we left about 11.15pm). The evening was hosted by Johnny Rock and there was some excellent music in a variety of styles. The highlight was Joel Sonnier (accompanied by the Louisiana Yard Dogs), who was joined on stage for his spot by Albert Lee and it was amazing. James came on stage around 8pm and everybody sang "Happy Birthday." He blew out the candles on his cake and thanked everybody for coming. He was presented with a life-size cut out of himself. He then went on to do a signing session. All in all, not a bad night for $5!!
On the 22nd, we went over to the Hirsch Coliseum for the Guinness World Record attempt (we weren't early enough for the talent contest). There was a great atmosphere as the participants started to arrive. Johnny Earthquake and the Moondogs were on stage for about two hours entertaining us until it was time for the attempt to begin. They are a great band who perform a variety of styles of music. They are great friends of James' and have been part of the festivals from day one. The artists appearing on the show that night took to the stage to lead the attempt but sad to say, the record was not broken. Nevertheless, everyone had a great time.
In the evening, it was down to the Municipal Auditorium for the James Burton and Friends Concert - this was terrific! As the show was a tribute to Elvis, each artist was asked to perform an Elvis number as well as their own music. Now, as I'm getting old and senile, I cannot remember who did what but I will tell you what I do remember. The show was hosted by Tom Kenny (the voice of Sponge Bob Square Pants) and started with Nokie Edwards who played Hawaii Five - 0 and ended with the All Star Jam. In between, we had great spots from Doyle Dykes (who said that James and Louise never asked him to appear, he just turned up! Doyle has been on every one of the shows so far), Kristen Capolino (who is only nineteen years old and she's brilliant - a name to watch for in the future), Junior Brown (who had also appeared on Sponge Bob, so there was a bit of clowning around there), Mike Farris (who did a blinding version of Mary Don't You Weep), Al Di Meola, David Grissom, Andy Chrisman, Kenny Wayne Shephers, Albert Lee (who was joined by his daughter to sing Let It Be Me and it was brilliant), Jennifer Batten (who was Michael Jackson's guitarist and did a great version of Beat It ), Steve Lukather and the Burton Family (of course)! Again, we had a variety of musical styles throughout the show and it was absolutely fabulous and everybody had a great time. James asked me later who was my favourite and I couldn't really say - they were all so good. I'm just glad that Terry and I were able to be there to be a part of it all!
Many thanks Vilma for once again taking the time to send us a fantastic review of The James Burton Guitar Festival and sharing with all of us the great time you had there.
TCB Band Fan Shoutbox
- Briget : Anybody planning on going to see James and Glen D in Liverpool in July?
- Briget : Great to see Jerry at Hot Shots performing with Jenson Bloomer and Mondo Carne.
- Marsh : thanks Briget
- Briget : Have a great time on the cruise Marsh ; - )
- Briget : Would have gone Margo if I had have known. Would love to go. Have fun : - )
- Marsh : Just booked tcb cruise for next may cant wait.
- Russell : i am going to germany and wondering who else is going so I could meet up with them. I am travelling alone so it would be great to link in with someone. xx M
- Colm : looking forward to the concert in Barcelona on Saturday evening.
- Briget : Congratulations Ron on this great news. Fans worlwide are so happy for you : - )
- Ann : Done!
- Briget : to home page sorry have deleted the previous one. ont know whats happening I cant do anything on here now !
- Briget : hiya can you add another flyer for 2015 tour please. Each time I add it it jumps to the top of the page agghhhh
- Russell : hope all fans of TCB Band have a good 2015. I am looking forward to see the band and Dennis in Barcelona in January,
- mike wright : Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to the TCB Band and Fraternity
- Briget : You there ?
- Briget : Hi Margo not even thought about it yet. Hope things are good with you and hope to see you soon.
- Russell : do we know if we can book for the tour viist to vienna on 16 - 17 - 18 January 2015 . Are Ann and Bridget going. Do we know who else from the UK are interesting in going.
- Colm : Hi everyone hope you all had a good summer,
- NANNYFAN : Checking when my membership expires ? Last year didn"t receive notice and had a lot of trouble renewing. Could you help me please.
- Briget : Happy birthday James!
Only registered users are allowed to post